Modern Farmhouse Dining Room


We recently updated our dining room. A little paint and furniture can make a place feel like home. 
Sources: 
Gold Mirror: Target
White Curtains: Target
Magnolia Wreath: Target
Dough Bowl on Wall: Antique Market
Windsor Chairs: Wayfair
Rug: Is an old rug turned upside down
Table & Bench made by my husband: He Builds She Paints
The design for the dining room began with the table and bench. My husband built the table and the bench right under the window. The bench top was made with a refurbished oak wood board we found at a barn estate sale. After sanding down the board, the natural color was a beautiful sweet honey oak. We simply added a polyurethane to seal the table, then added pin legs and a beautiful mid century inspired bench was born. I added some pillows and throw blanket for design. 
The table was built with Pine wood and was inspired by a table from Restoration Hardware. The color took many attempts and finally came out to a pretty lime washed white and white stain.


I designed the legs of the bench to match the dining room table legs. I painted the bench black and the color of the dining table was a mix of Dark Walnut, white paint and lots of furniture wax.
I found a matching glass centerpiece at a local antique store in Bloomington. The stain glass window on the wall was found years ago at an estate sale. Above the stain glass window is an antique clamp we found at an estate sale in Chicago.  I added dried eucalyptus in the vases for a bit of drama. 
Sources: 
Leather pillow and mud cloth inspired pillow: Woven Nook
Navy Velvet lumbar pillow: H&M Home
Black and Cream stripped throw: Target
Vintage Egg Baskets: Local antique store find
You can have a better look at the bench in these pictures. The vintage egg baskets underneath the bench were found at a local antique store. I could not believe I found a pair at two different locations, that's practically like winning the lottery. 😊
Against this wall hung some glass sconces that came with the house. I didn't like the glass sconces, they were outdated and didn't go with the style I was trying to achieve. So I removed the glass tops  added Edison bulbs and replaced them with these metal cages I purchased at Menards'. The table is a temporary fix we eventually want to either build a buffet or buy one. For now this table will do. I added a collection of my trinkets we have picked up along the way at various estate sales and antique stores. Did I mention we love antiquing? You probably guessed that already. 
We live on an acre of land and have lots of mud, people have to take their shoes off when they get in the house but we don't have a mudroom. My solution was for my hubby to build me this hall tree I designed, I wanted it to stand on legs to give it a midcentury feel. 

The hall tree has storage inside the bench area and had enough space underneath for a boot tray. We hung hooks for jackets and added pillows. I painted the piece Weekend by Magnolia Home
Sources: 
Hooks: a local store 
Paint: Magnolia Home
Pillows: Woven Nook
Orange Geometric Pillow: Target
Faux Plants: TJ Maxx
Small signs: Gift
Source: Midcentury chair: Craigslist
Architectural Wall decor: Antique find
Pillow: Target 
Green Vase: Gift
Trinkets: antique store finds
Wood bowl: an estate sale in Chicago
The dining room is a work in progress, I want to add a sign in the empty area right by the hall tree. I want to paint the french doors black and add another sign above the french doors. I would love to add a  geometric black and white rug in the future. Eventually we will add a buffet for all my glasses and dish-wares. For now I love it.
I love how it turned out. The space feels inviting and the window pulls in so much light. Now I sit with a cup of coffee at my dining table or our family eats around the table. 
These days I sit on my bench and take it all in and think to myself what room shall I tackle next. 



1 comment


  1. Your Blog Contents are so amazing and lovely. I learnt a lot of things from this blog. Thanks for sharing such informative content. I enjoyed reading these blogs and learnt a lot of things. I love your Window Suppliers Cork Collection. These collections are so different from others.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.
Hover to Pin